Estimated timeframes for I-395 air rights transportation reconfiguration
Our past discussion of the I-395 air rights project centered on details shared by the Louis Dreyfuss Property Group at ANC PZ&E meetings. Thomas from 400 Mass sent me a two documents from the government perspective available from Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
Return to L’Enfant is a planned unit development (PUD) encompassing the I-395 air rights between E Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW, and available terra firma pieces between 3rd Street NW and I-395.
The projected development will cover the sunken I-395 highway with three city blocks and two new Rights of Way (ROWs) at G and F Streets NW, by means of an at-grade platform above the highway. The city blocks will have a total of 2.3 million square feet of office, residential, retail, and public space, with parking garage and service corridor below grade. By creating new building walls along the edges of G and F Streets, the development will demarcate and establish the L’Enfant plan vistas and reconnect the city grid by adding pedestrian and vehicular corridors. Key transportation components of the project include the following items:
Projected Completion Date: estimated: “A”–2010; “B”–2014; “C”–2014; “D”–2011; “E”-2013
- Closure of the I-395 Southbound Exit Ramp to the 400 block of 3rd Street, NW
- Reconnection of F Street, NW between 2nd and 3rd Streets, for vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle traffic
- Reconnection of G Street, NW between 2nd and 3rd Streets, for bicycle and pedestrian traffic
- Reconfiguration of the I-395 Southbound Entrance Ramp from the 600 block of 3rd Street, NW
- Reconfiguration of the I-395 Northbound Exit Ramp to the 500 block of 2nd Street, NW
I wouldn’t take the estimated dates as gospel – but they give some reference points as to the relative order the five items will be completed.
Be the first to like.