A friend and I were discussing NYC in planning a March trip. One subject that came up in discussing the energy in Manhattan was Urban Grit. We both appreciate a little grit although I’m perhaps a little more particular on what grit I think brings something to the table in a good way than she is.
What are your thoughts on Urban Grit?
I’ve started a discussion two lists of Good and Bad Urban Grit below. Feel free to debate or add to the lists in the comments.
- Graffiti Art, Guerilla Art or Murals - not gang signs of course. Art such as the Guerilla art on the 400 Block of NY Ave.
- Old Weathered Brick or Cobblestones
- Water Towers on top of old buildings
- Some Industrial Character – personally I’d find a view of railyards, shipping cranes or old brick warehouses more interesting than the sterile Washington Monument. (Albeit not great for resale)
- Trash/Litter everywhere – litter everywhere sucks. I’m also not a fan of the fact all the Chinatown NYC trash collection is done on the curb of the streets. Think mounds of black trash bags on the sidewalk.
- Odor – Dowisetrepla or otherwise
- Chain Link fences
1 person likes this post.