Setting aside the economic arguments against the big box retailer for one day let’s have a brainstorm on how the new Walmart could fit within the urban context of the neighborhood.
Google Street View image of 801 New Jersey Ave NW
I’ll kick start the list, leave your suggestions in the comments.
- Parking should be underground
- Add residential density atop the store.
- Widen the sidewalks on NJ Ave. Keep the mature trees.
- Put a prominent entrance to the Walmart at the corner of NJ and H. Perhaps have additional entrances as well.
- Place loading and parking entrance on I Street rather than New Jersey Ave or H Street.
- Don’t overbuild the parking. DCUSA has a whole second level of subsidized parking that’s rarely used. We need to learn from that.
- Avoid long blank walls at the street level to the extent possible. Perhaps with supplemental retail.
- Restore First Street to the street grid. It is currently truncated by this two block wide parking lot.
1 person likes this post.