Traffic Advisory: Funeral Procession for Senior Police Officer
A funeral procession for MPD officer Frank Strother will travel through the neighborhood between 1 and 3pm on Thursday afternoon. Full details of the route and closures are included after the “Read More” jump. As an aside, this news does provide another opportunity to clarify the function of the 501 New York Ave NW building. Many area residents I talk to are under the impression it is a police substation. That is incorrect – it is a branch of Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement.
501 New York Ave NW
Traffic Advisory: Funeral Procession for Senior Police Officer Frank Strother
( Washington , DC ) – This is to advise the public of anticipated road closures during the funeral procession of Senior Police Officer (SPO) Frank Strother. On Thursday, June 3, 2010, the funeral will take place at the Jericho City of Praise, located at 8501 Jericho City Drive , Landover MD. There will be a viewing from 10 am to 12 pm immediately followed by the funeral service.
Upon completion of the funeral service, a motorcade procession will depart the church enroute to the Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery . The procession will pass by SPO Strother’s first Special Operations Division assignment, the Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Branch, located at 501 New York Avenue NW before arriving at the cemetery. The route for the procession is listed below. Motorists traveling in the area of the route can expect road closures for extended periods of time between the hours of 1 pm and 3pm. Roads will be reopened after the procession has passed. Motorists are asked to use extreme caution when traveling in the area.
On Sunday, March 14, 2010, Metropolitan Police Department Senior Police Officer Frank Strother, assigned to the Special Operations Division, was operating his MPD motor unit enroute to participate in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade when he was stricken by a medical incident. SPO Strother was taken to the hospital and after a lengthy battle, passed away on Saturday May 22, 2010. His death was in the line of duty, and as such, he will be awarded full department honors for his funeral.
• From church, exit left out of parking lot to southbound on Jericho City Drive
• Eastbound (left) on Arena Drive
• Northbound (left) on Brightseat Road
• Bear right at stop light (to remain on Brightseat Road ) towards Rt. 95
• Westbound (left) on to Route 202 / Landover Road
• Exit right to westbound Route 50 towards Washington
• Route 50 / New York Avenue to bear right on to the 500 block of L Street, NW
• Southbound (left) on 6th Street, NW
• Eastbound (left) on New York Avenue, NW (to pass the Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Branch)
• Southbound (right) Rt. 395 ( 3rd Street Tunnel)
• Southbound (left) on to SE/SW Freeway
• South (right) on to 11th Street Bridge
• South (right) on to Rt. 295
• Eastbound (right) on to Suitland Parkway
• Southbound (right) on to Route 4 / Pennsylvania Avenue ( Maryland )
Be the first to like.