Utility work for the 3rd Street Tunnel will begin next Monday April 14th. This reconfiguration of the utilities is needed to support the the upcoming Capitol Crossing project that will build a deck over I-395. Construction for this phase is estimated to last 9 months. The press release outlines to the traffic impacts to motorists, pedestrians, and both metro and Georgetown buses.
This construction is what forced the recent relocation of our 4th and Mass bikeshare station.
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announces the start-up of utility relocations along Massachusetts Ave NW, H St NW, between 2nd & 4th Streets NW, and along 2nd & 3rd Streets between E Street & Massachusetts Ave NW to begin on or about Monday, April 14, 2014 with an expected completion time of nine months, weather permitting.
The Contractors will be conducting construction activities for this project Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., with additional hours and possible Saturday work scheduled as needed.
In preparation for Utility relocation work, repairs and roadway improvements, contractors will: remove existing curbs and concrete islands, install temporary pedestrian walkways and ramps, and install temporary streetlights and poles. Traffic control signs will be in place to guide travelers along the corridor and direct traffic to alternative routes when necessary.
During this phase of construction travelers can expect to see:
- Restricted parking along H Street NW between 3rd Street and Massachusetts Ave NW
- Installation of temporary traffic barriers and pavement markings along Massachusetts Ave, H St, between 2nd & 4th St NW, and along 2nd & 3rd St. between E St & Massachusetts Ave NW
- Restricted pedestrian access within construction work zone of H Street medians/islands at Massachusetts Ave
- Access to park located between Massachusetts Avenue, 2nd Street and H Street will be maintained during construction
- Georgetown University Shuttle Bus stop at 2nd and F St NW will be relocated to 1st and E Street NW
- The East and Westbound DC Metro bus (the X2 & 80) stops on H Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets NW will be eliminated. For additional information concerning metro bus routes and schedules, please contact 202-637-7000
The developer and contractor have worked closely with DDOT to create a viable transportation plan for the project during all construction phases and will inform commuters, stakeholders and the public in advance of any traffic impacts.
Motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists are urged to stay alert and use caution when traveling through the work zone.
Motorists are advised to plan for additional travel time as traffic delays are likely to occur, or use alternative routes to bypass the construction area.
For additional details please contact the Project Manager Ali Shakeri 202-671-4612 or the project’s public outreach office at 202-719-0196.
For more information about the project, please visit: www.3rdsttunnel.com