In February The Deputy Mayor of Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) officially terminated its agreement with Donohoe to develop the DC owned parcel at 5th & I. The Donohoe/Holland group had been awarded the parcel during a 2008 Request for Proposals (RFP) process yet failed on a multitude of levels to make progress towards ground breaking.
This spring a Request For Expressions of Interest (RFEI) was issued by DMPED with a due date of July 19th. Michael Neibauer of the Washington Business Journal reports that 10 submissions were made.
In no particular order, they are:
- AEPA International
- Argos Group, Potomac Investment Properties, Martinez and Johnson Architects
- JBG, Moddie Turay Company, Morris Adjmi Architects
- Warrenton Group, Fourpoints, Skidmore Owings Merrill
- Beztak Companies, Gold Krown Fund, Friedman Capital Advisors, Foxhall Partners, Sorg Architects
- Lowe Enterprises, Torti Gallas Urban
- Peebles Corp, Walker Group, WDG Architects
- Trammell Crow, CSG Urban Partners, Leo A Daly
- Spiral LLC, Republic Properties, Peter Fillat Architects
- Akridge, Jefferson Apartment Group, Jarvis Company, Escoff and Associates
If this process follows a similar map to the 2008 process then we can expect that DMPED will narrow these 10 down to <= 5 finalists. The finalists will then compile presentations that will be showcased publicly. Our ANC and neighborhood organizations and residents can then potentially endorse the option they feel best. DMPED will take such endorsements as as input but not a mandate and will select a winning RFP.
I would guess the award process will spill into early 2014. Which may mean a groundbreaking likely wouldn’t materialize until 2016. Kind of depressing for those of us who were excited in 2008.
For what it’s worth, here is the recap of the RFP finalist presentations from 2008.