Setting aside the economic arguments against the big box retailer for one day let’s have a brainstorm on how the new Walmart could fit within the urban context of the neighborhood.
I’ll kick start the list, leave your suggestions in the comments.
- Parking should be underground
- Add residential density atop the store.
- Widen the sidewalks on NJ Ave. Keep the mature trees.
- Put a prominent entrance to the Walmart at the corner of NJ and H. Perhaps have additional entrances as well.
- Place loading and parking entrance on I Street rather than New Jersey Ave or H Street.
- Don’t overbuild the parking. DCUSA has a whole second level of subsidized parking that’s rarely used. We need to learn from that.
- Avoid long blank walls at the street level to the extent possible. Perhaps with supplemental retail.
- Restore First Street to the street grid. It is currently truncated by this two block wide parking lot.