The Downtown DC community loses a leader

On Sunday afternoon Miles Groves passed away. Miles has lived in the downtown area since the mid 1990’s and was president and a founder of the Downtown Neighborhood Association (Follow the DNA Link for a memo from their BoD).

Miles was a tireless and devoted leader that was highly respected neighbors, business owners, residents and local government officials throughout the district.

I worked with Miles on several issues in the last year. I was impressed with his passion, inclusiveness and skill in advocating for improvements downtown. His involvement in an issue was always productive, practical and well intentioned. Generally my observation is that any issue where local government leverage Miles as a resource, such as the ANC 6C, resolutions to issues happened more efficiently than they otherwise would have.

What is the best way to honor Miles contributions to Downtown DC? Please consider this an open thread to share thoughts and remembrances of Miles.

UPDATE (March 25th): Editor and Publisher journal writes: Miles Groves, Noted Newspaper Economist, Remembered Fondly by Colleagues

1 person likes this post.

Comments

Thais says

He will be irreplaceable. How about naming a downtown park or dedicating a piece of public art in his honor?

The March meeting of the Downtown Neighborhood Association will be held on Wednesday March 24th at 6:30pm at the Calvary Baptist Church (8th &H). The meeting will be in honor of Miles and his selfless service and dedication to DNA, the downtown area, and the District.

I will post a reminder on the blog the week of the meeting.

I agree with Thais that naming a downtown park or public sculpture after Miles would be outstanding.

DCer says

What a different place downtown would have been without Miles. He cared so much for our community and contributed to our quality of lives. I agree with Thais that he is irreplaceable, but my hope is that he inspired leadership in others who step up and try to fill the void.

Mike Donatello says

I knew Miles for 15 years, beginning as my boss during his previous career in the newspaper industry and continuing as a close friend. As the story and comments note, Miles was passionate about living in DC and improving the lives of those who call the city home. In recent years, when we chatted, he’d proudly note how the Downtown Neighborhood Association had either scored a victory for area residents or was working on another. I was sorry to see him leave the media world, but I think that he really found his second wind with the DNA.

If the purpose of living is to find a purpose in one’s life, then Miles truly lived well. I’ll miss him greatly, and I’m sure many others will, too.

Tony says

How about ‘Miles Groves Way’ signage being added to a nice, quiet, unassuming street somewhere in the DNA vicinity? Would/could the city do something like this?

Clara Barton Dweller says

Miles was such a great advocate for our neighborhood and always welcoming to anyone who wanted to get involved. We were lucky to have him.

Pete says

Miles lived across the hall from me and was a fantastic neighbour, even helping get my mail for me on multiple occasions when I was out of town for awhile. I’ve been on an extended trip right now and it saddens me greatly to hear about this.

Pammieb says

Hearing about Mile’s passing is very sad. We did not know him well but it did not take us long as residents of the Ventana to see how important he was to the life of our home neighborhood. He was one of the most quietly impressive people we have ever met. I think some public acknowledgement would be a wonderful thing to accomplish in his honor as well as making sure we all continue to work together to make the PQ an even better place to live.

Pam & David bernstein

Monique says

Wow. I had no idea and I’m so sorry to hear. He was definitely a force to be reckoned with and it was all to improve the quality of our lives in DC. I like the idea of naming a park after him.

Trackbacks