WaPo highlights new hoagie at Taylor

The Washington Post published an article today on the new Pattison Ave hoagie at Taylor Gourmet Deli. The new sandwich serves thinly sliced roast pork, shards of aged provolone and broccoli rabe on the signature Sarcone roll. Owner David Patten explains that his inspiration arose from the roast pork hoagies at two shops in the City of Brotherly Love: DiNic’s at the Reading Terminal Market or John’s Roast Pork in South Philadelphia.

Have you tried it? How does it stack up?

Image Credit: WaPo

1 person likes this post.

Comments

MeganElise says

It’s awesome! I don’t know if it’ll replace the Ben Franklin Parway as my favorite sandwich at Taylor but it’ll definately be in the top 3!

I need to try this new Roasted Pork hoagie out.

My two favorites are the Callowhill (Meatball, provolone) and the Art Museum (Chicken Cutlet,provolone, roasted red peppers).

was not my favorite. got it a few weeks back…definitely didnt get into the “Rotation” on my sandwiches from there. Now lemme say I love this place, but the roast pork sandwich that clydes on the wlak used to have was better.

I was really excited to try Taylor Deli, as I live in the area and was craving such a place. I have visited on three separate occasions.

To my utter horror, each time I ordered a sub, the person made it without wearing any gloves, which was disgusting to me. I’m not sure if this is a health violation in DC, but it was enough to turn my stomach. One time the worker wiped his nose with his bare hand and then handled my bread. I had to throw the $7 sandwich out because I was disgusted but too embarrassed to complain.

Has anyone else had a similar experience here, or would you be bugged by this?

ewww that is gross! i’m thinking twicw now of going back. The guys over at the Safeway sandwich deli always wears gloves. I may stick to getting my Tuscan chicken sandwich there. Thanks for the warning.

washingtonydc says

I love how these last three anonymous comments are all bolstering each other…and are conveniently near each other in time.

if you’re really that upset (“enough to turn my stomach”) and “disgusted”, why not tell the manager or the guy making the sandwich? you don’t get to complain about being parted with your $7 if your solution is to gripe anonymously on a blog.

Matt says

Dear Washintonydc,

My name is Matt, and my only post was at 11/12 on 1/6/10.

Maybe it’s easy for you, Washingtonydc, to complain in a restaurant, but it’s easy not for everyone. I posted here as a friendly warning to others to pay attention while they make your sandwich. If you don’t want to heed the advice, then don’t, but there’s no reason to be nasty and criticize me for not complaining to the manager (or to accuse me of posting multiple times). It’s not my thing, and if I did ever return there after complaining, I can’t imagine the staff would want to treat me well if I told on them to their boss.

My advice for everyone is to watch the person make your sandwich. Judge for yourself. If it’s your thing to make a stink, then you may be doing others a favor.

Matt says

Update on the gloves situation.

My girlfriend and I went in there again to see if the glove situation had been rectified.

Unfortunately, the answer is “no.” Two of the 3 employees handling food were wearing gloves, but another employee, Ramos, was making sandwiches with just one glove on. When it was my turn to order, I asked Dave at the cash register to request Ramos to put on another glove. Dave’s response to me was, “But his hands are clean.” I insisted, and Dave told Ramos to put on the gloves. Though Ramos initially argued, Dave told him to “just do it” because a customer was complaining (not because it’s the right thing to do!). Hopefully this will not continue, but I still urge everyone to keep a close eye on the food preparation employees. Preparing food without the proper use of gloves or another implement such as tongs is forbidden, according to Section 202.11 of the D.C. Municipal Regulations for Food and Food Operations.

Unfortunately, another problem occurred on this visit. I ordered the Calloway (a meatball sub). When one of the workers was wrapping the sub, a meatball popped out and rolled from the preparation counter onto the cash register counter. Instead of replacing it with a clean meatball, the worker instead popped the sullied one back into the partially wrapped sandwich without so much as a second thought. Perhaps I’m off base here, but that just didn’t seem appropriate.

Bottom line: please be alert as they prepare your food!

says

Hello everyone.

This is Casey Patten, one of the owners at Taylor Gourmet. Paul forwarded me the blog roll and I was both amazed and appalled that this was the experience that some of you have had at my restaurant. Our policy is, and always has been, that anyone on the sandwich line or working with raw proteins MUST be wearing gloves at all time.

I have put all of our employees on notice that anyone caught on the line not adhering to this policy will be terminated immediately and without question.

The health and safety of our loyal customers is a priority at Taylor, and I can assure you that this situation will be rectified immediately. I want to personally thank you all for your continued patronage, and profusely apologize for this experience which, I can assure you, is a far cry from the kind of service we pride ourselves in providing.

Should anyone have any further issues in either of the stores please feel free to bring it to my attention at cp@taylorgourmet.com

All the best In the new year,

Casey