The following is from a Downtown BID document created on 9/10/2009.
Reservation 72 (Chinatown Park)
- Owned by National Park Service
- Bounded by 5th, 6th, Eye and Massachusetts Avenue, NW.
- Refurbishment plans begun by Yeni Wong and Chinatown 6-8 years ago.
- Downtown BID asked to intercede.
- Completed design plan
- Developed project budget ($139,000)
- Identified $96,000 in funding
- Gained approvals of:
- National Capital Planning Commission
- U.S. Commission on Fine Arts
- Coordinated with District Department of Transportation to complete streetscape surrounding the park (2 of 3 sides already are in Downtown BID area streetscape plan)
- Remaining tasks:
- Raise remaining $43,000
- Secure approval of National Park Service for sidewalk paving materials
- Continue to urge DDOT to complete all 3 sides
- City’s Chinatown Cultural Development Strategy calls for even greater improvements. The current project should be regarded as Phase One.