DuMont still a sinking ship? **UPDATE**

The DuMont continues to sit on the market as Ideal Realty Group attempts to attract buyers. While the current lending environment is unquestionably hindering progress on this front as a neighbor it’s more puzzling why the building continues to take on water. Flood Control trucks were a common sight in December of 2008. Here we are 9 months later and the building still is pumping water out of the garage after heavy rains.

UPDATE [8/7/2009 12:30PM]: From a reader email it appears that today Pepco is pumping water out of the DuMont’s electrical vaults.

Comments

Is it possible that the building sits on an unmarked stream – – possibly a waterway that was diverted when the 3rd street tunnel was built?

Shaw Rez says

It's such a shame (and so bizarre/kinda creepy) to see a new building like this sit empty.

pqresident says

by my calcs, the neighborhood is "missing" about 800 residents by having the Dumont empty.

@pqresident – that depends. I had heard rumors that one possible outcome for the smaller or the two DuMont buildings is extended stay hotel.

Pency87 says

I'm in the Madrigal and face the DuMont. Last night (Tuesday) there appeared to be someone (I clearly saw a person) using the pool on the roof. So weird. Is the DuMont haunted? Is the flowing water coming from the indian burial ground that serves as its foundation…?

tom veil says

Sigh … so sad. I'm moving out of the neighborhood in a few weeks, largely because there are no affordable condos as nice-looking as the DuMont, and yet it continues to rot mournfully. How could I pay $400k+ for the dowdy gray Madrigal, with its false second bedrooms, when this damp Prince Charming sits empty across the street, beckoning me? So low in flesh, so high in bone, oh, DuMont, I hardly new ye.

The water is probably being pumped into the building by the "Ledo's Pizza" owner…

I noticed when I walked by yesterday that the water (both out of the hose and in the lake along 4th St) now has a nice green hue to it. Looked like algae.