New Tavern application at 315 H St NW ** UPDATED **

UPDATE [5/26/2009 2:45PM]: I’ve updated the photo and included the Loopnet commercial listing for this property which describes it as “Approximately 11,000 Square Feet on 5 levels including a Full high ceiling basement. Exposed brick and open SOHO – Like loft space on every level affording great flexiblity for build out.

A new CT (Tavern) liquor license application has been initiated for the vacant four story “Jefferson” building next to Papa Johns at 315 H Street NW.

Click to Enlarge; Left: 2006 photo from Kyle Walton; Right: 2009 Photo from Loopnet

License Class: Retail Class “C” Tavern
Address: 315 H Street, NW

WARD 6 ANC 6C SMD 6C01
Notice is hereby given that this applicant has applied for a license under the D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Act and that the objectors are entitled to be heard before the granting of such license on the hearing date at 10:00 am, 7th Floor, Suite 7200, 941 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002. Petition and/or request to appear before the Board must be filed on or before the petition date.

NATURE OF OPERATION
New Tavern with Middle Eastern food and pastries. Hookah Bar, DJ, occasional live bands (maximum 3 pieces), singers, dancing but no designated dance floor. Cover Charge. Occupancy Load 299.

HOURS OF OPERATION
Sunday through Thursday 11 am – 2 am
Friday through Saturday, 11 am – 3 am

HOURS OF SALES OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
Sunday through Thursday 11 am – 2 am
Friday through Saturday, 11 am – 3am

HOURS OF OPERATION FOR ENTERTAINMENT
Sunday through Thursday 6 pm – 2 am
Friday through Saturday 6 pm – 3 am

The ANC6C Alcohol Beverage Licensing Committee (ABL) will be inviting this applicant to attend a June 2nd meeting (7pm) at the School Without Walls (215 G Street NE).

Comments

PQS says

This could be really cool or really bad for the folks at the Sonata. Curious to see which one it’ll be. If the music won’t be too loud at night, I think it’ll be great.

@PQS – I would suggest we need to ask the ANC to be very strict with this business in the voluntary agreement about the alley use. The applicant business needs to manage their trash well and their employees/patrons should not park in the alley. We already have to navigate around Papa John’s drivers, an ill-placed light pole and cars hanging out of Savvy Stereo’s back bay. This bar should be nudged towards developing a parking agreement with one of the nearby surface lots.

PQS says

I agree with that. Don’t even get my started on that light pole. Apparently the City disagrees though. Hopefully the applicant will work closely with our buildings to make this mutually beneficial.

PQS says

I must have missed this part of the original post: “New Tavern with Middle Eastern food and pastries. Hookah Bar, DJ, occasional live bands (maximum 3 pieces), singers, dancing but no designated dance floor. Cover Charge.” That’s NOT what I had in mind when I first read “Tavern.” I’m no longer very excited about this.

@PQS – Tavern is primarily just the name of the class of liquor license (i.e. bar) rather than a description of how the business will be themed.

washingtonydc says

I think middle eastern food is definitely one of the cuisines that this part of town lacks. I care less about hookahs and cover charges, but if they can serve up some affordable and delicious falafel, schawarma, shish taouk, and et cetera (perhaps washed down with an Egyptian Stella) then I would haunt this place weekly.

washingtonydc says

@fourthandeye — I haven’t, but thanks for the reminder. I’ve been meaning to try Urfa since I first noticed it a few months ago but I always forget. I’ll have to check it out this weekend.

I think it’s great. Add some life to that corner. It’ll make the Triangle more vibrant and less… umm… 5pm-9 pm ish, as it is now. Also, it’s on friggin MASS AVE, for those of you worried about indoor “noise.”

LadyM says

I don't know about this one. I do look forward to more activity in that area but I'm not so sure about a bar open until 2 & 3am right next door. The reason I like my condo location is because it's close to the action not in the middle of it. That alley may become a nightmare.

tom veil says

Interesting. I could do without hookahs, but it sure beats an empty storefront.

On a related note: my wife and I have noticed that the white building next to the Jefferson appears to be operating some sort of service for destitute women. It’s pretty mysterious, though: we’ve spotting people *exiting* at 7-8 am, even though that place doesn’t look like it’s designed for people to sleep overnight in it. Anyone know what it is? Will it be impacted by this New Tavern?

I welcome the new establishment. Our neighborhood needs restaurants, lounges and retail. Mt Vernon is a new community that needs more than just apartments, condos and vacant lots.
    As for Urfa Tomato Kabob…please save yourself a trip. It was the worst Middle Eastern food that I have ever had. Who serves falafel on a Kaiser bun??? They did!!!

For crying out loud. Urfa does not use kaiser rolls–not even close. It is some sort of flat bread, puffier than pita I'll grant, split in half. When you get one baked fresh, it's pretty awesome. The food is nothing to write home about, but it is above average. It is certainly a solid lunch choice.