2009 National Police Week

Be aware that 2009 National Police Week runs from Monday May 10th to Saturday May 16th (schedule of events).

National Police Week, which occurs each year during the week in which May 15 falls, recognizes the service and sacrifice of U.S. law enforcement. Established by a joint resolution of Congress in 1962, National Police Week pays special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.

While a noble and worthy event, from a Downtown resident perspective the event has a history of issues. A significant number of out of town police officers behave like they are on spring break and, ironically, above the law. Among other things, be prepared for drag racing, illegal parking in various forms (alleys, in no parking zones, or motorcycles on sidewalks), public urination, and other anti-social behavior.

Comments

Ugh! Not this CRAP again! Why can’t something be done about this? Just what I need… a week without a single night of good sleep!

massysett says

I read the comments in the link. I’ve worked in this neighborhood for over five years now and have lived here for over a year, and I always look forward to Police Week and haven’t noticed some epidemic of rudeness or loudness. There are often drunks, public urinaters, and loud people in the city, and it is always loud in this area with sirens day and night. I’ve just never noticed that it is any worse during Police Week. If I wanted someplace quiet I could move to Fairfax or some other boring suburb.

Krista says

Personally I find public urination more unacceptable from a uniformed officer than a homeless person. I also am more intimidated when a police officer exhibits drunken anti-social behavior than a frat boy. So yes, I hate cop week and can’t wait for it to be over. City living is fine by me the other 51 weeks of the year.

PQS says

Massysett: You should have been here during police week in 2007. You would have a different perspective. It was a week-long drunken block party. Last year was better but you still have exceptionally loud music going until 11pm – 12am (in 2007 it was until 2-3am). This isn’t about city living – this is 10 times worse than typical city living. Thankfully the police chief was so embarrassed about 2007 that she cracked down last year. Hopefully that will continue to this year.

Chinatown Resident says

Police week ’07 was particularly bad, but I didn’t think ’08 was much of an improvement. I witnessed an excessive amount of public intoxication and a very disturbing incident involving four police officers harassing a homeless man. I’m all for a good time but with police, even when off-duty, but I would expect something a bit closer to model behavior. And the “city living” argument is not an excuse for inappropriateness. They are still professionals and adults, are they not?

Brendan Fevola says

It’s really disappointing when people in positions of responsibility in the public eye regress to such behaviour, especially public urination.