Followup with Edens and Avant on City Vista retail

Earlier this month I highlighted the news that commercial real estate firm Edens and Avant (E&A) purchased all the retail at City Vista. Reviewing their portfolio of work did not inspire confidence as all their completed projects were suburban strip malls.

Development Associate Brady Pate reached out to me to discuss E&A’s plans to round out the remaining City Vista space with tenants. Pate lives in the community, regularly shops at the Safeway and uses his Results Gym membership. He is also expected to join the MVT CID Board of directors this June.

E&A plans to keep with the restaurant row vision along K Street. The retail frontage along K, with it’s large windows, 22 foot ceilings and plaza sidewalks is suited well for restaurants. Due to the shallower than ideal depth (65 ft) and numerous concrete columns that inhabit the space the probable outcome is several establishments with wide frontage rather than a series of narrow businesses. Pate suggested 2 to 3 restaurants of sizes ranging from 2500 to 4000 s.f. could fill the available space on K Street.

While well capitalized tenants are sought out there is a pool of local restaurants interested in expanding to the Triangle much the way current City Vista anchors Busboys & Poets and Fifth Street Hardware have done. Negotiations are underway with several prospects. A lease could be signed this spring with an opening targeted in Q4. By the summer of 2010 several new tenants could arrive creating the truly engaging streetscape along K street we all hope to see. The available space on Fifth Street will continue to focus on service oriented retail.

Comments

Hopefully the new restaurants will have better service than BB&P. I was handling the bad service pretty well until last night when they couldn't even get our drinks to us until after we had finished our meal despite the fact that we begged for them continually and had ordered them as soon as we had sat down. No apologies, nothing.

I have had similar experiences while sitting at their tables. However, I love the bar there. I had probably my best dining experience there while sitting at the bar. I’ve sat at their tables every other time and been underwhelmed, but sitting at the bar is great. The bartenders are professional and nice and there is never a drink order problem and orders are accurately done. I will swear to always sit at the bar from now on.

I've never had nearly the degree of poor service others have described at BB&P. Maybe a few times the server let our drinks sit empty a little longer than ideal. But certainly never anything like what Anon 14:50 is describing.

I'd actually categorize the service from my last visit as above average. Perhaps I'm lucky. (Knock on wood)

pqresident says

on the service business point, I always prefer having a dedicated dry cleaning/tailoring storefront as they usually provide other services like hemming, clothes repair, shoe repair, shoe shining and the like which are handy.

not sure what Bergmann’s offers via the Safeway but I’d think a genuine tailor would have more expertise than the Safeway folks. (not a knock against the CV Safeway which is my “go to” store these days.)

bergmans is a GREAT dry cleaner, if expensive. I had a good service at BB&P, so perhaps the bad service is not a trend…

-Future CV resident

So I’m going to ask a stupid question. Where is the Bergmanns? I’ve seen the sign, I’ve heard all about it, but I’ve never seen the actual place. In other Safeways its always right up front but I’ve never seen it at the CV Safeway.