WCP: Glut City?

Washington City Paper’s Housing Complex blog has mentioned the Mount Vernon Triangle twice in the last week.

Last week the mention was MVT’s ranking in $/sf for Q4 condo sales. This week’s HC posting offers a less flattering tilt coining our ‘hood Glut City.

I won’t really refute the author’s point that there is presently a substantial amount of vacancy in the Triangle’s new construction. However I think thats focusing overly on the negative. Madrigal Lofts has gone to settlement on well over 100 units in the last twelve months – how many other DC condos can say that? The inventory is moving. It’s still going to take awhile as so much of it arrived at the same time.

Comments

si says

i totally agree, sure it takes a while but things are still moving along. The location is stellar with all of the basic needs in easy walking distance. Not to mention the museums, restaurants, entertainment – you sneeze and you are there! And the views…If I were to buy a condo this is the first place I’d look.

pqresident says

I was at City Vista recently to have a look-see. the developer wants to move those condos and there is a price point at which they will move.

hint: it isn’t the asking price so you just have to ask.

elyse says

I looked at several models at city vista and the floor plans are awful! How can any developer put HVACs in the middle of a room?

elyse says

I looked at the city vista models and was very disappointed. How can any developer put an HVAC unit in the middle of a wall?

pqresident says

many condos have their HVACs in the middle of the wall. this is not uncommon. the question is which wall. it’s usually better to have it at the very front of the condo but it doesn’t always work out that way. in my condo it’s in a closet next to the bathroom.

Re: HVAC

Looking at the City Vista floorplans it seems many of the HVAC closets are corners of the bedrooms. They protrude into the bedrooms changing the room from a perfect square in six walled space.