Rumor Mill: Little Buddha signs on at 455 Mass

SG brings to our attention that sushi restaurant Little Buddha has recently signed (ed note: it’s buried in that article but it is in there) on at 455 Mass Ave. Little Buddha is based at the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas and is affiliated with Buddha Bar NYC and Buddha Bar Paris. Back in June the rumor was Lawry’s Prime Rib.

Reactions from the peanut gallery? Many previously expressed interest in seeing a “Lauriol Plaza East” here. But of course it takes two to tango and things don’t work that way. I’m satisfied with the choice as long as Little Buddha make good use of the windows and patio.

UPDATE (12/15/2008 4:30P): More Little Buddha

Comments

Jacquelyn says

I had definitely been hoping for the Lauriol Plaza East idea – but I knew it was a pipe-dream.

This place seems fine – except I’m not sure the glitz is going to translate well to the area. Also, it does seem like $8 for a California roll (on the Las Vegas menu) is kinda spendy. I don’t know that I’ll go there more than once considering the prices for what, at first glace, seems like standard Asian fare.

Hi Jacquelyn

I’m not going to read too much into the prices on the Vegas menu. Vacationers are less sensitive to price so nearly everything in Vegas is expensive. They won’t necessarily use the same prices in our market.

That said, since the one time I met Peter Greenwald from Penzance I was convinced th space at 455 Mass was going to be expensive “white tablecloth” dining. The office buildings in the area feel they need such a restaurant in the immediate vicinity to attract tenants. However I still hold out hope that City Vista can sign on a restaurant in their empty retail bays that caters to residents rather than add more high end destination dining.

This would be an amazing addition to the neighborhood. Little Buddha would be a destination restaurant, drawing people from all over the city. If it is anything like its affliate, Buddha Bar, it will have fantastic music, great lounging areas and will generally be a good place to unwind at the end of the day or to gather before a night on the town. Perfect.

Jacquelyn says

Ok, I probably should have done more research on these guys than just look at the Vegas restaurant’s website. It definitely could be very cool – even if it’s only once in a while.

@Jacquelyn: No worries. Please don’t think research is required to post. Chime in anytime.

Truth be told Little Buddha probably will be expensive. I don’t eat sushi anyway! So I’m more likely to grab drinks in their lounge either before or after I go somewhere else. =)

Let’s hope City Vista or that empty bay at Mass Court can satisfy our Mexican needs one day soon.

w/ 5th & I completed, its probably a good fit.

Now, like Vegas, it need some more cool hotel space surrounding it. Saw where condo projs in NYC were going botique hotel. Would the Dumont condos work as a hotel?

@Anon 17:04 – I agree, it does seem like a good fit with the Me by Melia hotel and Boisdale.

As far as DuMont going hotel – I generally defer to District Chatter for DuMont rumors because they are far more connected to that building than I’ll ever be. The fact the kitchens have been installed has to reduce the hotel options. Leaving out the contractual side, and solely focusing on the physical logistics of the units, at this point an Extended Stay hotel would probably be the only hotel option. My guess is apartments…

Matthew Yglesias says

I’d love to see sushi in the neighborhood, but the prices here do look pretty steep. That said, having a “destination” spot like Little Buddha around could help put us on the map.

Not too excited about another chinese/japanese restaurant in the area, even though it is across from chinatown. We’ve had Asia Spice, Momji, Thai Chili, Asia Nine (not in MV but it is walking distance), and many more open just in the past year or so. Some variety for new restuarants would be nice.