This post isn’t about a Bob Dylan song or a World Series of Poker memoir. Instead it is a closer examination of the plans for a Two-Way Fourth Street NW within the Triangle. In past postings we have alluded to DDOT planned improvements for the street. With changes slated to begin in 2009 we felt it was time for a closer look.
Fourth Street improvements include:
- Restore two-way traffic from L Street to Mass Ave
- New traffic light at Fourth and Eye
- Removal of a traffic island on the NW corner of Fourth and Mass
- Reconfiguration of the Fourth, Mass and H Street intersection
- Redesign slip intersection of Third and H Streets
- In long term, two way traffic restored between NY Ave and L Street
These improvements will promote safety for pedestrians by calming traffic speed and will reduce the appeal of the street as a I-395 alternate route. Additionally, because of the K Street and Fifth street overlays that prohibit/limit new curb cuts, the alley/garage traffic of new K Street Developments will funnel onto Fourth.