5th and Eye RFP awarded

The 5th and Eye RFP was awarded this morning. Si Kailian reports that Donohoe/Holland’s proposal, The Arts at 5th and Eye, was selected.

Jad Donohoe laid out the high level proposal details on the Art’s blog.

Our team wants to bring hotel rooms, retail, and residential housing to the city-owned vacant lot at 5th & I Streets NW. That basic outline isn’t unique, but our final product will be:
  • The Arts Residences at 5th & I: Residences offering city views. 96 units
  • ME by Meliá: A four-star+ hotel with a young, international edge. 174 rooms
    International Photography Space: A curated exhibition space incorporated into the hotel, exploring world themes in art photography
  • Café Cappuccino: A unique urban coffee house offering full-service breakfast and lunch for the neighborhood, with take away options and a pet-friendly sidewalk terrace
  • Boisdale of Washington: A London-based cultural dining experience and live jazz club featuring contemporary and historic jazz styles, a diverse menu and a renowned selection of scotch whiskies. A neighborhood destination, Boisdale will bring entertainment options to Mount Vernon Triangle while offsetting noise concerns by locating the jazz club below grade level. Estimated 150 seats
  • Parking: Underground parking with valet service

There’s a lot more to tell – we’ll be bringing you more updates over the coming days and weeks. Stop by the public presentation on Thursday to hear about what could be in store for 5th & I.

A few weeks later Donohoe disclosed that The Bike Shop expressed a letter of interest in the project.

My recap of this proposal from the public presentation in May can be found [here]. I may have the original PDF on my laptop at home – if so I will post.

UPDATE (9/19/2008 1:40PM): The press release Fenty Announces Luxury Hotel, Jazz Club for Downtown Site is now online. The below excerpt mentions that Zenith Art Gallery is now part of the proposed retail.

The 475,000-square foot project, called Arts at 5th I, will be anchored by a ME by Melia, a high-end Spanish hotel. It will also include a music venue called the Boisdale Jazz Club, a bike shop, a hardware store, book store and café. The Zenith Art gallery will also take space there.

The development will also feature 166 apartments, where 50 units will be reserved as affordable for renters earning less than 60 percent of the area median income. The developer has also proposed a 238-space underground parking garage.

Comments

I’m actually having tingles. And the fact that the city awarded the plot to the developer that the community wanted restores my faith in the city’s process. I was worried that political, under the table dealings would override the community’s wishes, but today I have a wonderful feeling about the city government and especially Mayor Fenty’s leadership. Cheers to The Arts at 5TH and Eye!

DG-rad says

this is great. i think their proposal was best, and I am happy to see the WSD properties to the east not incorporated. the diversity on the block will be better than a mega-building..

Amazing- I totally reverse jinxed it yesterday by saying JBG would win (although I really thought they would).

I am so unbelievably happy!! This plot is directly across the street from my living room window and I am relieved to know that Donohoe/Holland won the competition! They really listed to the community and I think the city appreciated that. I know that I did!

It is the view from my condo as well. What really makes me happy about this choice is that it puts something unique in our neighborhood and will help establish an identity that will be more than the “anywhere-USA” we might have gotten with some of the other proposals. Congratulations Donohoe/Holland on your win. The sound of construction will be the sound of music for us.

Kimberly says

I am so excited about this new addition to the neighborhood! My husband and I stayed at the ME in Cancun and loved the funky/trendy vibe and great service we got. Can’t wait to show off this area to friends who come and visit!
    Any idea of when they might break ground? The sooner the better!

@Kimberly – DCMud quoted 18 months to break ground. Then of course building a project of this magnitude takes years. Patience is a big part of real estate i guess. But I’d still hope for a ground breaking to move a little quicker than that…

si says

the word is @ 18 months (check mvsna blog.) the financing package will require council approval and then time for the permitting and final design.

i’m so glad I’m not the only one who loves the sweet music of construction. We got woken up every morn at 7am by the ping of City Vista’s pylons being driven into the earth and it started each day with a big smile.

DCRay says

This news and the letter stating the McWilliams Ballard is no longer working for the Dumont Condos are the best things that have happened all day! Woo Hoo!!!

Bad news for the WSD site to the right. Too small to build on that alone. Are they in business? I heard they are TKO

@Anon 17:48

Back on May 8th it was rumored that WSD sold their property to JBG.

I don’t think the sites are too small to build on as you suggest. The complication is the site has historic buildings. Preserving elements of those incurs extra costs. Those costs are easier to absorb when spread over a larger project. Perhaps JBG is better equipped to absorb those extra costs – or perhaps they will land bank until the real estate climate is back on the upswing? I don’t know…