MVT CID press release on Safeway

The Mount Vernon Triangle Community Improvement District (MVT CID) issued a press release today on the new Safeway opening on Friday September 12th. The City Vista Safeway is store number 2737 and has an official address of 490 L Street NW.

excerpt:

The CityVista Safeway will include some of the company’s latest features such as the first Safeway in the city equipped with a nut bar, wine cellar, and an open-flame hearth oven within the full-service scratch bakery. The hearth oven, where Artisan breads will be baked fresh daily, will be the focal point for the full-service bakery with the nut bar offering a wide selection of warm, ready-to-eat nuts that can be flavored or ground on site to create spreads and peanut butter.

Customers will be able to enjoy the new amenities found in many Safeway stores, such as a Starbucks Coffee bar and Bergmann’s Dry Cleaners, along with the more traditional offerings of a pharmacy, full-service deli, meat counter, floral shop and seafood department.

We reported last week that the store hours will be 5AM-midnight and that Mayor Fenty will attend the ribbon cutting at noon on the day of the grand opening.

Comments

Kimberly says

Does anyone know if normal business hours will start on the 12th, or will the doors not officially open until after the ribbon-cutting ceremony? I’d like to get me some starbucks coffee there that morning…

From what I’ve heard the Safeway opens for the grand opening at 8am this Friday. So it does open prior to the ceremony with Fenty.

nbdinz says

Opens at 8am this Friday… as per the flyer (and safeway card with 10% off for 60 days) most of us received.

I would imagine that it actually opens Tuesday or Wednesday. Most stores like that will have a “soft” opening at least one or two days in advance so they aren’t working out the kinks with the mayor and the press on hand.

New Target stores, for example, typically open 4 days prior to their grand opening.

@Anon 19:29

I initially also thought there would be a soft opening for Safeway to work out the kinks. But now as we’re close to the date I’ve heard this will not be the case. There are 3 “events” spread across Wednesday and Thursday. Two of those are definitely VIP/RSVP. I’m still trying to track down more information about the 3rd event.

fourthandeye — the third event is a preview party for CityVista residents Thurs. evening from 4-8 pm.

According the communications committee at 555 Mass, the preview event on Thur from 4-8 is open to the public. Perhaps that info is only being circulated to the condos in the immediate vicinity of the Safeway.

MVT CID Bill did tell me it was open to the public. But Safeway doesn’t seem to really be hyping it up. So, while mentioning it these blog comments is cool, I don’t think I’m going to write a big blog post on it that will end up in the RSS feeds of blog readers across the city.