Silo is celebrating its first anniversary tomorrow, January 24th, with a community party starting at 10 p.m. Enjoy small bites, a DJ, dancing and featured cocktails. I would like to also offer a personal word of thanks for taking a property with a checkered history and turning it into a wonderful community asset. Look forward to what you have to offer as you enter your second year!
One of the unique benefits of living in the Mount Vernon Triangle is watching the Presidential motorcade go by the condo after the annual State of the Union speech. This year, Busboys and Poets will be hosting a State of the Union watch party followed by a discussion at the 5th and K Busboys and Poets from 8 to 10:30 p.m. This event is hosted by Impact-DC. Besides being in the US Capitol, there may not be a better way to participate in this annual event. Events like this are yet another reason I love living in the Triangle!
The paper in the windows has come down and the “Open” sign is flashing. The Triangle has a second nail salon option now at 317 H Street NW (more like the corner of 4th and Massachusetts Ave. NW). Happy Nails and Day Spa is offering a grand opening special of 15 percent off services and is the third location for this salon.
The first meeting of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 6E will be tonight at Northwest One Library, 155 L Street, NW at 6:30 p.m. Agenda is below.
- Call to Order and Roll Call
- Election of Officers
- Approval of Agenda
- PSA Reports: Metropolitan Police Department
- Terroir, 1015 7th Street, NW: Request for Support for Retailer’s Class C Restaurant ABC License (Terroir, LLC)
- Terroir, 1015 7th Street, NW: Request for Support for Public Space Permit for Outdoor Café (Terroir, LLC)
- Golden Rule Plaza West, 1035 4th Street, NW and 307 K Street, NW: Request for Support for Public Space Permit for Curb Cut (Mission First Housing)
- WMATA: Presentation on Bus Service Changes Implemented in ANC 6E06-07 and Discussion of Community Concerns
- DC Water: Presentation on 12/14 Water Emergency Affecting ANC 6E01-02 and Discussion of Community Concerns
- 1200 Block of 6th St, NW, West Side: Presentation of Comments on Sunday Diagonal Parking by United House of Prayer for All People
- Other New Business
- Old Business
- Approval of 2015 ANC 6E Meeting Locations
- Approval of 2015 ANC 6E Budget
- Approval of 2015 ANC 6E Security Fund Participation
- Approval of 2015 ANC Committee Chair Assignments
- Approval of Minutes of 11/06/14 Meeting
- Approval of Treasurer’s Report
- Approval of Expenses
- Next Meeting: 02/03/15, Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Library, 1630 7th Street, NW
Tbe beginning of the New Year also brings a new Councilmember for Ward 6. The Mount Vernon Triangle welcomes Charles Allen and looks forward to working closely with him and the issues surrounding our dynamic neighborhood.
For those that are interested in meeting the new Councilmember and his staff, they will be hosting an Inaugural Open House on Friday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at his new Council office located in Suite 406 in the Wilson Building.
What issues do you think Councilmember Allen should focus on for Triangle residents?
Comments are invited on issues that you think are of importance to this neighborhood in 2015.
As 2014 comes to a close, it is a great time to review and reflect on the dynamic progress that has occurred in the neighborhood.
January – New restaurants open in the neighborhood!
- Silo Restaurant opens in the former Fun Fair location on the 900 block of 5th St. NW.
- Alba Osteria hosted their first Neighborhood Welcome event at their new location at 4th and Eye NW.
- Flight Wine Bar opened near 6th and H St. NW.
- QWest Nails opens near 5th and K St NW.
- Buddha Bar closed after two years at 5th and Mass NW.
- 123 unit mixed use development announced at 4th and L St. NW.